Every year around October, New York Comic-Con comes crashing into New York City with a Geek-borne force of the Death Star from Star Wars. For a few days, midtown Manhatan gets invaded by fans of comic books, movies, science fiction, fantasy, horror, Anime and more. If you are in town around that time and see Batman or Wonder Woman calmly strolling by you at Starbucks, they’re probably around for Comic-Con.
This convention takes place at a gigantic convention center known as the Jacob Javitz Convention Center. It’s like a small city within New York City. It has everything you need to hold an event. Food vendors include a Korean food stand, Starbuck’s, a Hudson news, frozen treats and more. The problem for someone trying to lead a healthy lifestyle however is eating healthy inside the convention center is near impossible. Most of the food here primarily consiste of high fat, high sugar and mostly deep fried or oily items. Knowing this, I prepared a “Survival Package” of sorts of items that could sustain me throughout the day as I went through the convention. I thought I’d share some of these items here:
- A bottle of water (the same reusable bottle I take to the gym) to keep hydrated
- Hard boiled eggs for protein that’s filling
- Blue Diamond 100 Calorie packs for a great crunch snack
- Apples (they travel well and satisfy a sweet and crunchy craving)
- Atkins Bars (a healthier substitute for candy bars)
In general, aim for the following:
- Stay hydrated (water is ideal)
- Make sure to have protein, it’s filling and good for you
- If you need crunch or savory snacks, aim for “safer” items like nuts or even fat free pretzels
- Fruit is ideal as it generally travels well and gives you something sweet
- Packing a sandwich with healthy ingredients (low fat meats and cheese, vegetables etc.) and whole wheat bread is always welcome
Truth be told, these items and the concept of a “Survival Package” doesn’t just apply to Comic-Con. There are plenty of times when we’re away from our normal food venues, and putting together a package such as this will definitely put you ahead of the game from eating some of the less healthy options that are so readily available at events away from home.